Spoken - Written
Dialogical - Monological
Spontaneus - Ritual
Informal - Formal
Individual - Interindividual
Private - Public
Subjective - Objective
Interactional - Transactional
The functional classification identifies illocutionary text types according to the type of the dominating illocutionary act:
- Representative or assertive type(research reports, weather forecasts, diaries, CVs, lectures)
- Directive type ( orders, instructions, directions, giving advice)
- Expressive type (apologies, thank-you notes, greetings)
- Commissive type ( pledges, swears, offers, vows, bets)
- Declarative or performative type (nominations, appointments, dismissals, accussations)
The situational classification sorts out texts according to the ´sphere of activity´ (private, official or public, such as a private letter, a letter addressed to an institution) and ´form of communication´ (dialogical and monological, spoken and written texts).
The strategic classification deals primarily with the topic and the ways of its expansion:
Speech events of the same type are identified as belonging to particular genres.
- Discourse structures
- Rhetorical structures.
In the last unit I can put in context every topic studied during the semester. We have to analyze a text and clasified its words according to the definitions that we have learnt. Text typologies helped me to rehersed the units and to be aware about what the couse was about.